Scholarship recipients will be selected based on qualities traditionally valued and demonstrated by the immigrant community: hard work, resourcefulness, perseverance in the face of adversity, academic achievement, leadership, and commitment to one’s community. A committee drawn from the local community will review applications and select a group of finalists for interviews. The Esperanza Education Fund will award scholarships for students to attend public colleges or universities or community colleges. The scholarships range from $5000 to $20,000, depending on financial need. Scholarships will be disbursed directly to the recipient’s educational institution. The award represents the total amount of money that will be disbursed over the student’s college education (i.e., if a student had a $10,000 award for a four-year public university, they would receive $2,500 a year).
As you apply, please note that an Esperanza scholarship is more than financial assistance for college. We also provide our students with mentors to help them navigate college, internships, and starting a career. We have activities for scholars throughout their college years to help get to know each other and give them the skills and networks to succeed both in and after college. We are looking for scholars who want to take advantage of these additional opportunities and become part of the Esperanza community.
- Applicant must be born outside the U.S. or have two parents born outside the U.S.
- Applicant must be planning to enroll full-time at an accredited public college or university in the academic year the award is offered.
- Applicant must be either a graduating senior at a high school in the District of Columbia, Maryland, or Virginia or a recent GED grad residing in DC, Maryland or Virginia.
- Applicant must have a family income of less than $100,000 in 2019.
- Must currently be in high school
- For residents of the following states: Maryland, Virginia
- Award is available to U.S. citizens
- Award is available to Canadian citizens
- Award is available to citizens of countries other than the U.S. and Canada.
- Application form required
- Essay required
- Recommendations or references required
- Resume Required