The Truman Scholarship is a very competitive national scholarship. Each year, the Foundation reviews over 600 applications for our 55 to 65 Scholarships awarded annually. These 600 applications do not include the students who compete on their own campus for one of a school’s four nominations.
Legal Requirements (must be met)
- At the time I apply, I will be a full-time student pursuing a bachelor’s degree with junior-level academic standing; or, I have senior-level standing in my third year of college enrollment. Note: Students who are already attending graduate school are not eligible for the Truman Scholarship.
- I am a U.S. citizen (or a U.S. national) or I expect to receive my citizenship by the date the Scholarship will be awarded.
All Candidates for the Truman must be nominated by their undergraduate institution. Our Fac Rep Locator will help you to find the representative at your school. Faculty Representatives can also answer both specific questions about the application process as well as general questions about whether the Truman is right for you. If your school is not listed, please consult our FAQ for more information.
- Award is available to U.S. citizens
- Application form required
- Essay required
- Recommendations or references required
- Community Service Required
How To ApplyOnline
Apply Online 🖨️ Print Scholarship
See something that's not right?
Report Incorrect InformationReport incorrect scholarship information
Donor: Harry S. Truman Scholarship Foundation
Organization mission is to find and recognize college juniors with exceptional leadership potential who are committed to careers in government, the nonprofit or advocacy sectors, education or elsewhere in the public service.Website