The George J. Mitchell Scholarship Program is a national, competitive scholarship sponsored by the US-Ireland Alliance.
The George J. Mitchell Scholarship Program, named to honor former US Senator George Mitchell’s pivotal contribution to the Northern Ireland peace process, is designed to introduce and connect generations of future American leaders to the island of Ireland, while recognizing and fostering intellectual achievement, leadership, and a commitment to community and public service.
Up to twelve Mitchell Scholars between the ages of 18 and 30 are chosen annually for one academic year of postgraduate study in any discipline offered by institutions of higher learning in Ireland and Northern Ireland.
A Candidate for the Mitchell Scholarship Program must meet all the following criteria:
- Be a U.S. citizen
- Be 18 years of age or older, but not yet 30, on the date the application is due. For example, if the deadline is September 29 and you turn 30 on September 28, you are not eligible.
- Have a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university before beginning study as a Mitchell Scholar. Degrees from international accredited universities are acceptable, if all other conditions are met.
- While married applicants or applicants with partners are accepted, no allowance is made for the expenses of an applicant’s spouse, partner, or dependents.
The Mitchell Scholarship Program provides tuition, accommodation, and a stipend for living expenses and travel.
- Aged between 18 and 29 years old
- Award is available to U.S. citizens
- Application form required
- Interview required
- Essay required
- Photograph required
- Community Service Required
How To ApplyOnline
Apply Online 🖨️ Print Scholarship
See something that's not right?
Report Incorrect InformationReport incorrect scholarship information
Donor: George Mitchell Scholarships/U.S.-Ireland Alliance
A national competitive fellowship awarded to 12 U.S. college graduates for one year of postgraduate study in Ireland. The scholarship is named to honor Senator George Mitchell’s tremendous efforts to bring peace to Northern Ireland. The program is run under the auspices of the US-Ireland Alliance, whose mission it is to introduce and connect generations of future leaders to the island of Ireland.Website