SMART is a scholarship-for-service program that provides full tuition and other financial benefits to individuals in exchange for a period of post-graduation civilian service in a DoD facility. Another benefit of the program comes in the form of internships that allow for broadly relevant hands-on research and work experiences in DoD facilities, thereby enhancing their educational experience. The SMART Scholarship Program represents a critical DoD investment in attracting the best and brightest of minds whose technical expertise will help execute the Department’s mission.
Individuals applying for this scholarship must be:
- A citizen of the United States, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, or the United Kingdom
- Applicants MUST be pursuing a technical degree in one of the 21 STEM disciplines.
- Able to participate in summer internships at a DoD facility
- Willing to accept post-graduate employment with the DoD
- A student in good standing with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale at the time of award
- Pursuing a technical undergraduate or graduate degree in one of the disciplines listed on the “About SMART” page
- 3.0 Minimum GPA
- Application form required
- Transcript required
- Test scores required
- Recommendations or references required