Earth Island Institute established the Brower Youth Award for Environmental Leadership in 2000 to honor renowned environmental advocate David Brower, who said, “I love to see what young people can do, before someone old tells them it’s impossible.” It is with this spirit that we recognize the outstanding leadership efforts of young people who are working for the protection of our shared planet.
Youth environmental change leaders ages 13 to 22 living in North America (including Mexico, Canada, and some Caribbean Islands) and U.S. territories are encouraged to apply.
Each of the six recipients of the Brower Youth Awards will receive a $3,000 cash prize, a professionally produced short film about their work from an Emmy Award-winning film crew, and flight and lodging accommodations for a weeklong trip to the San Francisco Bay Area.
- Aged between 13 and 22 years old
- Type of institution award is open to: two-year college
- Type of institution award is open to: four-year college
- Type of institution award is open to: trade/technical school
- Award is available to U.S. citizens
- Award is available to Canadian citizens
- Award is available to citizens of countries other than the U.S. and Canada.
- Application form required
- Essay required
- Recommendations or references required