The EMPOWER (Encourage Minority Participation in Occupations with Emphasis on Rehabilitation) Scholarship, administered by Courage Kenny Foundation, encourages and supports ethnically diverse students who are pursuing a career in a medical or rehabilitation field.
The scholarship is made possible by a generous gift from the David M. Hersey Endowment Fund of the Courage Kenny Foundation.
Applicants must identify how they will use their education and training and demonstrate their interest in rehabilitation. Selection is based on the applicant’s stated intentions, past achievements, need, and graduation ranking.
The scholarship is open to culturally diverse students who…
- Have been accepted to or are enrolled in a post‐high school program
- Are residents of Minnesota or Western Wisconsin or attending school in Minnesota or Western Wisconsin
- Volunteer and/or take part in Community Service
- Are pursuing a career in healthcare
- Have a minimum GPA of 2.0 on a 4.0 scale
- Have financial need
- Must currently be in high school
- For residents of the following states: Minnesota, Wisconsin
- Type of institution award is open to: two-year college
- Type of institution award is open to: four-year college
- Must be American Indian/Alaska Native
- Must be Asian/Pacific Islander
- Must be Black, non-Hispanic
- Must be Hispanic
- Award is available to U.S. citizens
- Application form required
- Transcript required
- Financial need analysis required
- Essay required
- Recommendations or references required