In their effort to address areas of inequity in education for marginalized students, CFSA donors Phil and Carol Lyons established the African American Opportunity Fund in 2020 to provide higher education scholarship support specifically to African American students living in the Tucson metropolitan area.
This scholarship awards $3,000 to recipients who must generally be enrolled as full-time students. Applications will also be accepted from part-time students.
- Student must be a graduating senior from or must have attended high school in the city of Tucson
- Student must have a 2.5 cumulative GPA or higher
- A short essay question is included within the application and must be completed
- One letter of recommendation is required for this scholarship and can be attached directly to the application
- Students are not required to submit a FAFSA to apply for this scholarship, however financial need is taken into consideration.
- Students are not required to be first-generation college students, however preference will be given to first-generation college students.
- 2.5 Minimum GPA
- Must currently be in high school
- Type of institution award is open to: two-year college
- Type of institution award is open to: four-year college
- Must be Black, non-Hispanic
- Application form required
- Transcript required
- Financial need analysis required
- Essay required
- Recommendations or references required