NOGLSTP established the Out to Innovate™ Scholarship for LGBTQ+ Students in STEM, following NOGLSTP’s inaugural Out to Innovate™ Career Summit for LGBTQ+ People in STEM. These scholarships are intended for undergraduate and graduate students pursuing degrees in science, technology, engineering,or mathematics (STEM) programs who are either lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer or an active ally of the LGBTQ+ community. The scholarships are designed to promote academic excellence and increased visibility of talented LGBTQ+ students in STEM careers.
The mission of NOGLSTP Scholarships is to:
- Award scholarships to LGBTQ+ or LGBTQ-supportive students currently enrolled in Science, Technology, Engineering, or Mathematics (STEM) or STEM-related teaching fields.
- Honor students who support a creative educational community that increases the visibility and the accomplishments of LGBTQ+ and supportive students
- Encourage students to be out in their careers and support diversity in the STEM workforce
- Scholarship awards will be paid in the Fall semester/quarter only.
- Scholarship availability depends on funding, and might not be offered every year. Some years will offer more scholarships than other years
- All awards must be used in support of recipient’s education or research.
Eligibility (all scholarships):
- Identify as a member of the LGBTQ+ community
- Cumulative grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.75 on a 4-point scale
- Be an active supporter of and participant in programs or organizations that promote LGBTQ+ inclusion and visibility
- Successful completion of a minimum of two years of post-high school education at an accredited U.S. college or university
- Students enrolled in a graduate-level medical program are not eligible for the scholarship unless enrolled in a research dual-degree program (e.g. MD-PhD)
- Must be eligible for fall term registration at an accredited U.S. college or university and must not be under disciplinary sanction
- 3.0 Minimum GPA
- Type of institution award is open to: four-year college
- Award is available to U.S. citizens
- Award is available to Canadian citizens
- Award is available to citizens of countries other than the U.S. and Canada.
- Application form required
- Essay required
- Recommendations or references required