The NYS Math and Science Teaching Incentive Program is offered to encourage students to pursue careers as math and science teachers in secondary education (grades 7-12). Awards are made to students attending school at the undergraduate and/or graduate degree level in exchange for five years of full-time employment as math or science teachers in secondary education in NYS.
An applicant must:
- be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen;
- be attending a college located in NYS;
- be matriculated in an approved undergraduate or graduate program full-time at a degree-granting institution in NYS leading to a career as a math or science teacher in secondary education;
- for return recipients only: have a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.5 or higher;
- not be a recipient of an award under the NYS Masters-in-Education Teacher Incentive Scholarship Program;
- execute a Service Contract agreeing to work full-time for five years as a math or science teacher in secondary education in NYS. View the terms and conditions of the service contract;
- be in a non-default status on a student loan made under any NYS or federal education loan program or repayment of any NYS award; and
- be in compliance with the terms of any service condition imposed by NYS award.
A recipient receives an annual award payment for full-time study equal to the annual tuition charged to a NYS resident student attending an undergraduate program at the State University of New York (SUNY), or actual tuition charged, whichever is less.
- 2.5 Minimum GPA
- For residents of the following states: New York
- Type of institution award is open to: two-year college
- Type of institution award is open to: four-year college
- Award is available to U.S. citizens
- Application form required
- Transcript required