The Professional Bowlers Association Billy Welu Scholarship is awarded annually, recognizing exemplary qualities in male or female college students who compete in the sport of bowling.
The scholarship winner receives $1,000. To be eligible candidates must be amateur bowlers who are currently in college (preceding the application date) and maintain at least a 2.5/4.0 GPA or equivalent.
The scholarship was established to annually recognize a college student who combines outstanding bowling talents with academic excellence. The late Welu was best known for his expert analysis alongside legendary ABC broadcaster and PBA Hall of Famer Chris Schenkel on the popular “Pro Bowlers Tour” series. Welu was a two-champion PBA Tour champion and was a member of the PBA Hall of Fame’s inaugural induction class in 1975.
- 2.5 Minimum GPA
- Type of institution award is open to: two-year college
- Award is available to U.S. citizens
- Award is available to Canadian citizens
- Award is available to citizens of countries other than the U.S. and Canada.
- Application form required
- Essay required